When it comes to late 90s/early 00s hardcore, in my opinion Southen California was running the show. Whether it’s bigger bands like 18 Visions, Throwdown, and Bleeding Through or more obscure but equally awesome bands like Wrench or Adamantium, OC = you’re fucking moshing!!
Knowing how much I love those bands, a bunch of people have asked me why I’ve never written about that scene/era. The answer is simple: although I crossed paths with a lot of those kids, I am not from Southern California so I wouldn’t be able to do it justice. I could maybe tell a few stories about seeing this band or that band or recount some third-hand rumor I heard in 1998, but that would be gay and there is already the B9 rumors and gossip thread for that.
LORDS OF SOUTH COUNTY, straight off the mean streets of Dana Point (ft D-level UFC fighter Rob Emerson). Best part is the horrifying incident in which these heartless criminals stole several rolls of toilet paper from a hotel!
Fortunately, some awesome dudes who ARE from Southern California had an awesome blog that is pretty much the bible of CHAINREACTIONCORE gossip/war stories and cover the subject much better than I ever could. They haven’t updated it in a long time, but if you’re into this shit you can spend a long time going through their archives. Some suggestions:
- Throwdown, Reno, guns, Chain Reaction– some grade-A hxc gossip right here
- 18 Visions tour journal, featuring run-ins with Pete Wentz and Mani from Racetraitor, among other lulzy details
- Some details on the “infamous” MONSTER CREW and attacking people with grocery dividers
- Throwdown house show (visor-related content)
- One King Down are shitty houseguests
- DEAD AMERICA!! Super obscure but awesome tagger metal from Costa Mesa
- Reflections on the “bandana thrash” scene, including Steve Aoki’s brief flirtation with it
Now we just need someone to tell the story of VEGAN DEATH CREW!!!