We’ve been big fans of UKHC standouts TRC for a long time, because what’s not to like about five dudes with great abs who act like total assholes and write songs that are 85% breakdowns with lines like “learn how to dress, you fat prick”?? Needless to say, I was very excited to check out their new single “#TEAMUK,” but that excitement only lasted for about 30 seconds:
I only speak a few words of European, so I can’t really understand all the lyrics. But from what I can pick out, this song is about how their butts hurt because a) people do not give the UK the respect it deserves for being the creative force behind the hardcore scene and b) their band is “not just an opening act” because contrary to popular belief/the facts, TRC is actually very popular. Basically, it’s the hardcore equivalent of that fat girl who made the video in which she told everyone that she isn’t fat: their words just don’t correspond with reality. But lulzy, butthurt lyrics aside, the really worrisome part is that all signs point to TRC being the latest band to make the transformation into srscore :(
Compare to their earlier, way sweeter single “Define Cocky” above- and prepare to be disappointed. Notes:
- Breakdowns replaced with minor-key melodic riffs
- Popped-collar polos replaced with varsity jackets, plaid shirts, and hoodies
- 1:12 lingering shot of several Supreme hats for no apparent reason (and fucking lol @ getting on the supreme bandwagon in 2012)
- Homophobic lyrics in comic book fonts replaced by shots of dogs and homely girls in beanies
- ESPs with pointy headstocks replaced by Telecasters with mother-of-pearl pickguards.
- 2:45 Vox amp spotted; where are they recording, fucking Abbey Road?!
- It makes my butt hurt to watch grainy BW footage of them doing blue-collar stuff like unloading their van, in stark contrast to their old “poor British wiggers/chavs trying to look rich and glamorous” steez. Where’s da #swag?!
- 3:30 There are still some traces of fun remaining, like this shot of two girls kissing in order to get male attention. I wanted to be into it, but my boner just isn’t into grose semi-hipster bishes :(
- 3:45 Another awkward moment where it’s painfully clear that TRC are transitioning between their deliberately-ignorant-moshcore and srscore phases: a moderately sweet semi-breakdown that’s offset by the appearance of an Obey shirt– not sheriff which brand is more embarrassing to start jocking in 2012, Obey or Supreme???
Are you on #TEAMUK, and does it include Wales?? Have TRC said goodbye to breakdowns, fun, chav-ery and hello to #teamoldfag? Wood u smash any of these bishes?? Did a single tear roll down your cheek when you realized the world may never see a reprise of “Define Cocky”?????