In American high school sports there are two tiers. The good players are on what’s called the varsity team, and the kids who aren’t very good but have to be included for the sake of ‘fairness’ and ‘everybody having a chance to play’ are on the junior varsity (or JV) team. Music works the same way, so I’ve always used the term “JV” to describe those awkward bands who try really hard, but just don’t have what it takes. You feel bad for them, because it’s obvious how bad they want it, but at the same time it makes you really uncomfortable to watch them do everything a little wrong.
This band called WHEN GIANTS FALL is a perfect example of a JV band, like if you made an off-brand, bootleg version of PARAMORE and smuggled it across the border in a crate of JEDWARD merch. I was really really hoping they would be the next COURAGE MY LOVE, but I just can’t convince myself that they have the ability :( Notes:
- Bish seems nice but she should not be allowed anywhere near a microphone :(
- The G-rated setting is cute, but didn’t know they have amusement parks like this in the UK. They must get really crowded on the 2.5 days of sunny weather. And don’t all the rides get covered in moss and ivy??
- Least enthusiastic performance video ever? They pretty much just stand in place, awkwardly swaying a little bit in an attempt to seem ‘into it.’ Feel like I’m watching some Bulgarian snuff porn and an Azerbaijani mobster in a track suit is standing just out of frame with a gun and saying ‘Dence. DENCE I SAID!!!’
- Guitarist’s checkered strap suggests that he only recently graduated from his ska phase
- :44 her outfit is screaming “an Euro”: baggyish t-shirt with Fred Perry-style logo tucked into high-waisted jeans with a braided leather belt
- 1:25 Behind-the-drums shot of their 6 friends moshing to the ‘breakdown’ makes me sad inside. Reminds me of when you see some kid with terminal brain cancer on TV talking about how he wants to be an astronaut and you’re like ‘awwww the poor little guy has no idea how badly his dreams are going to get crushed.”
Liek WHEN GIANTS FALL on Bookface– tell them they seem like nice kids, and you hope they someday acquire the ability!