THE ACACIA STRAIN have a new song and it’s fucking awesome

Shittiest “meaningful lyrics photoshopped over generic live shot” ever? DO U EVEN ANTI-ALIAS TYPE, BRO??

Since “Wormwood” was one of my favorite albums of the last decade (srs), I clicked “play” on this with a mixture of fear and excitement. It’s kind of like the first time you go down on a girl and you’re like “Man, I really really hope I like this because if I don’t, that means I might be gay… and there’s nothing wrong with that but it’s gonna make my life a lot more difficult and I just don’t want to deal with it.”

I was scared that they might have gone nu-metal like all the other deathcore bands are doing, or maybe diluted the relentless, crushing brutality of “Wormwood” with ghey melody. I took a deep breath, clicked play, and let out a sigh of relief when I heard that this was basically “Wormwood” 2.0: the same retardedly heavy, slightly djenty awesomeness, only even more downtuned and lean, pared down to the absolute essentials of mosh. Oh and at 2:45 dat BLEH!

This entry was posted in new jamz and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to THE ACACIA STRAIN have a new song and it’s fucking awesome

1. JaseEdge says:

Dat gif!

2. 808BUMP says:

HOPEFULLY NOT A B-SIDE FROM WORMWOOD. GOES HARD!

3. beholdthesharktopus says:

A+++ wood mosh/10. I’m tempted to string up my 6-string guitar with 17-70′s to learn some of TAS’s 8-string stuff. I cannot possibly see how this could go wrong.
    “I was scared that they might have gone nu-metal like all the other deathcore bands are doing”
    *cough*WHITECHAPEL*cough* Section 8 on their EP last year was such a solid song, too. :(

4. Jeremy O says:

needs moar BLEH

5. Godeye says:

First half is too riffy, not enough doomy DUNNNNNNNs (Tactical Nuke), but goes hard at 1:57, wood mosh.

6. nimplysaked says:

I like how SYWH comments have become people regurgitating Sarge’s Metalsucks posts and passing this off as their own views. Lol!

7. Void Eater says:

Politically correct disclaimers about being gay is alright? Tumblr’s starting to get to ur head.

8. Brah says:

Like you said in your TAS review/interview, what sets them apart is having roots in hardcore as opposed to metal.

Metal bands this age started out as kids listening to nu-metal, moved on to “real” and “brutal” music (death metal + breakdowns), decided to be “serious original artists” (djent), and then disillusioned with the whole thing have come to accept that they totally dig nu-metal, but want to “update it for the modern generation”. The whole process though hinges on having interchangeable genre lyrics about Totally Gross Stuff, Evil Stuff from Lit Class, or how they Really Want U 2 Die or else it’s “not metal @ all”.

Hardcore bands on the other hands, especially mosh-heavy bands, accepted a long time ago that they’re not doing anything groundbreaking musically and nothing is wrong with playing simple riffs over simple beats. What sets apart a hardcore band 90% of the time is the frontman and the lyrics. i.e. “What the song is actually about”.

Having a solid 70-80% hardcore-camp mindset really keeps them from getting too “artistically unsatisfied” with writing sick mosh riffs/lyrics about how Everything Sucks, Society Is Bullshit, and they Really Want U 2 Die.

9. Ink Deep says:

“DO U EVEN ANTI-ALIAS TYPE, BRO??” lost it. apleaforpatrick only has mspaint.

10. derekpants says:

I liked the song too but don’t get too excited yet, Serge. There is some speculation that it might just be a Wormwood B-side since the new album doesn’t come out til October. The real new stuff might be different :\

11. kaching says:

was at their dvd shoot show out in worcester, ma; fucking intense!

12. Joe says:

i highly doubt they’ll make something melodic and ghey, in my opinion every album they’ve put out has been heavier than the last.

I agree, it’s just that I srs don’t see how they’ll be able to top how absurdly heavy “Wormwood” was, which makes me scared they will go fggt like every other band these days :(

• TLDR says:

That’s what I said when Continent was new, though…

Exactly. I hope they prove me wrong again!

• SexHaver1987 says:

DL quote from an interview with AbsolutePunk: “Bottom line, it’s gonna be the heaviest thing we’ve done. Everybody says it, whatever, but that’s kind of been our ladder on the way. Every single record gets heavier. It’s hilarious. I mean it’s heavy. That’s like our thing. We know we’re doing the right thing when we listen back to some of our mixes and just laugh. We call it funny heavy.”

Fingers crossed!

13. fuzz says:

I saw TAS a couple of weeks ago and Vince took a couple of minutes to make it very clear that just because they’re signed with Rise does not mean they’ll change their style at all. So I think it’s safe to say that they will remain retardedly heavy and not go near any ghey nu-metal bullshit.

14. inb4today says:

@ Beholdthesharktopus : just order an eight string set and use the low 6strings, be sure your nut can handle it.

also, acacia strain is risecore now, no matter how they sound.

also, my butt hurts

15. JoeTheRipper says:

I dunno, Wormwood was cool, but Rom 5:12 went way harder. That said, can’t ever get enough Marduk, stoked for Serpent Sermon!

16. STEVE says:

this song sucks LOL

17. Lord Mokrap says:

Damn, that’s some top-shelf titties!

Thanks for introducing a metal nerd to this. Workout music to the max.

18. chh says:

Those aren’t lyrics on the picture. Without bothering to check the DVD I’d wager that’s what Vincent says before they start playing JFC.

I caught on to TAS with the pos record and life is whatever and never gave a crap until they released The Dead Walk. Who srs cares about 3750 holy crap. To wind down I kinda disliked Continent, it has a few strong songs, but it is not TDW. Wormwood was worse somehow what’s with the constant rhyming :(

19. ra_nt says:

It’s every fucking post-Meshuggah-wannabe-tech-death band since 2004. Yeah, sick bro.