It’s never been a secret that metalcore bands generally favor moshing 4 christ and running in place in open grassy fields. It’s essentially Rap’s hanging out on ‘the block‘, Hardcore’s walking through the streets being ‘hard‘, and Blood on the Dancefloor’s embarassing their parents.
Even though I’m almost 26, I listen to music written for people who are probably at least 5 years younger than me. There’s more Tr00 pop punk on my iPhone than I should probably admit to on this site, but no fucks. I’ve been listening to pop punk since I was like 12 and all my friends made fun of me for it. Inb4 pop punk hipster. Anyways, after spending the last few years on a steady diet of Tr00, I’ve noticed a trend. Tr00 pop punk kids really love videos in their living rooms. Whether it’s general chicanery, having your friends point in your face and sing your lyrics that ‘tr00ly mean so much to them’, referencing ‘back in the day’ or really just being too broke/lazy to figure out anywhere else to go, Tr00 pop punk kids seriously get into hanging out in their living rooms.
Set Your Goals is probably one of the biggest bands in the whole Tr00niverse. They’re pretty much what reminded a bunch of moshcore kids that they actually did used to like pop punk. This video reminds me of the stories my friend always tells me about his college apartment and playing ‘Knife in the Dark’, as well the three times I got invited to parties when I was younger and how I always wondered how people who clearly are renting a house were able to completely lay waste to it. But this video has good feels all the way through. A few notable bits of interest:
- Ladies room sign above the heater @ :24. Craziness guys. What kind of joker lives in this house anyways?
- What season is it at this party? I see dudes in shorts and guys in parkas. Maybe they did this in the slumz where they didn’t have heat or AC?
- A Spartan cheerleader sweater? Karate Gi? A guy in an Incredibles costume? DOES THE ZANINESS KNOW NO BOUNDS? Or did they raid a thrift store prior to the ‘shoot’?
- Getting underwear on your head while passionately singing to your friend @ 1:05? “Haha, good one guys. I love my friends. We’re gonna live forever. Etc.”
- Some guy who rmbrs teh 90s even back in 2006, by wearing camo.
Unfortunately, not all Tr00 pop punk is as wacky and carefree as the above. While this next video maybe considered Ikeacore, I’d argue that 9 out of 10 kids at a Title Fight show would classify them as pop punk. The other one calling them a hardcore band for some reason. Even right now I can’t think of why. I just envision myself making a dismissive wanking gesture and walking away.
What I assume I’m watching through the VHS camcorder the guitar player in the glasses probably rented from his AV club, is a music video. I don’t know what it means, but it looks like they took a page from the Flight of the Conchords playbook and just don’t care about much.
- The singer is wearing a Judge shirt with a hole in it. I like to think he spent way too much money on ebay for it because someone told him it was an original pressing or something.
- Shots of black cats and umbrellas to show bad luck because why wouldn’t there be.
- Years from now, some poster on B9 is going to brag about being the kid in this video. Tumblr betas will shit their pants.
My friend knows these dudes and this video was the thing that made me realize this whole trend.
- Lulz @ the dude playing the hollow body. I wonder if he got it after Tom Delonge started playing one and is now like “Well, I still have this. Not really worth buying a whole new guitar. Guess I’ll just look old.”
- The amount of shoes on clean carpet is rustling my jimmies. Floor’s not gonna vacuum itself bros. Have some respect for the room.
- Not sure how their calf muscles don’t look like this. They do that one all-your-weight-on-your-front-leg move the entire time.
- The awkward stage(floor?) left shot at 1:22 where they’re playing to no one. I like to imagine it’s on a holiday and their parents are making them perform for their family in the other room.
- 0:00-2:34, Trying reeeaaaaallllly hard not to look at the camera.
I listened to more of these dudes and they are good and have ability. Some might consider them lovely. Check them out.
Lastly, let me put this out there: I met these guys a few months ago and hung out with them for about an hour. They were nothing but nice and the chillest of bros. That being said, The Wonder Years like their living room so much they actually wrote a song about it. They have a video where they’re playing in a basement too, probably cause he was still sad at that point.
There’s no point in breaking it down piece by piece. This video has it all. Hanging with your bros eating pizza, playing WWE on Xbox and drinking beers while your friends sing along? This video is tr00er than tr00. And they had more girls in this video than any of the other ones so there’s that.
Do you like to hang with your bros in your living room? Why do you think Tr00 kids like hanging out in the living room so much? Do you wish you could watch the guitar player from Title Fight’s AV Club projects? Am I seriously the first one to notice this?