the term “pop punk” nowadays has taken on too many meanings. if u hang around punx kids theyll say its bands that copy the ramones and sound like screeching weasel (boring 3 chord stuff). if u hang around elitist modern day scene ppl theyll say its liek title fight and man overboard and mayb older bands like lifetime. maybe theres some easycore revivalists hanging around somewhere too.
home grown displaying their kickass vintage pop punk style
anywayz, the point is, back like a decade or so ago, pop punk had one primary meaning. this was in an era where seeing bros with dickie pants and atticus shirts was not uncommon and blink 182 were the supreme rulers of the scene. unfortunately, many other bands became forgotten after the golden era of 1999-2002ish pop punk died and among these bands is HOME GROWN.
long before every top 40 hit was covered by like 10 post-hardcore bands, every once and a while, a punk band would cover a hit pop song, which usually ended up becoming a viral hit on napster
back in the golden era of pop punk, being signed to drive-thru records was like the equivelent of a crabcore band signing to rise records now, the pinnacle of their career basically. this was the label that they released their final album on “kings of pop”, in which they also released this kickass song/video….
- home grown? moar like homely grown men! lmfao
- singer kinda resembles tom from blink 182
- the balding asian guitarist is awkwardly out of place and funny
- it seems as if they predicted the emo trend in this (though im not sure how trendy emo already was that point, but im guessing this was 2002)
- props to them for admitting they all still live with their parents at the end
- this video makes me shed a tear for this era of pop punk :(
what are ur fav home grown songs? fav home grown album? what are some other vintage pop punk bands that u enjoy and still listen to?