A Crucial Look Into The 90′s Cali Skatepunk Scene

It amazes me that bands like NOFX, Lagwagon, Strung Out & No Use For A Name (RIP Tony Sly) still get brought up in discussion even 15+ years after their prime and peak in popularity. It’s too bad the same can’t be said for all of the other Californian skatepunk bands that took influence from the pioneers and (many times) did the style just as well or even better than them.

This video perfectly represents the sound and aesthetic of 90′s SoCal skatepunk. I haven’t seen video quality this bad since I last saw a rerun of America’s Funniest Home Videos with Bob Saget or that one time I watched a Title Fight music video. If you hear someone mention NOFX or Lagwagon today, you probably automatically think “lol old people”, but to give an idea of how young this scene was at the time, this entire band’s lineup was in high school throughout the course of their existence. They played their farewell show on their last day of school before they all parted ways for different colleges.

Growing up, my musical fetish was unashamedly “skate punk with metal guitars” and Sick Shift did it better than any other band at the time. I really dig the riffs at the end and how they keep getting higher and higher.

Off The Record display the poppier side of the “skate punk with metal guitars” thing with this song. I’m hearing some Strung Out influence. I don’t think this album sold too well when it came out but I’m sure their label made up for it when they released Underoath’s Define The Great Line (yes, both albums were released on the same label surprisingly).

Craig’s Brother was another band on Tooth and Nail Records. Back in 1998, they released their classic debut album “Homecoming”. They took the template of the Fat Wreck sound and added their own unique brand of epic melodies and poetic lyrics. Apparently they came up with their band name because of one the members had an older brother named Craig who was popular and a jock, so everyone would refer to him as “Craig’s brother”. Socially awkward punk kids getting overshadowed by jocks – the story of 90′s skatepunk in a nutshell I guess.

Feeble was Travis Barker’s first band. There is nothing else worth noting about them.

Donuts N’ Glory can either be described as ‘really creative’ or ‘just weird’. Their zany instrumentation, abstract lyrics, and vocals that sound like Fat Mike on an acid trip made them stand out from other bands in the scene at the time. Despite releasing only one album in 1996, they have a small yet dedicated following (including the drummer of Thrice) that still back them hard to this day. Cult status.

Speaking of Thrice, before began playing post-hardcore and experimental rock (or whatever they turned into) and became one of the biggest bands in America, they started off humbly by playing skate punk in the late 90′s. When this EP shows up on Ebay, it sells for up to 700 dollars.

Cigar is a band that managed to gain a fair amount of recognition, probably through touring and being signed to a halfway decent label (Fletcher from Pennywise produced and released their album). I’m not sure if this moderate popularity has transferred that well into recent years because from what I remember, this was their “hit song” and it has less than 700 views on YouTube.

Although Fearless Records is known now primarily for being a scene label, home to bands such as Pierce The Veil, Breathe Carolina and Blessthefall, this band is an example of what they used to release in the 90′s. I’m loving the slap bass – possibly Seinfeld influenced?

Now that I mentioned Pierce The Veil, I have to bring up their little known past. Before changing their name twice and turning into one of the world’s leading fangirlcore bands, they were once a skate punk band called “Early Times”.

Over 10 years ago, I never thought I would be including Ten Foot Pole in a list of unknown or forgotten bands. They came up at the same time as the other first generation bands, they seemed to have a good sized following, and they were on pretty much the biggest label for their style at the time (Epitaph). The progression of their record labels pretty much sums up how much their popularity declined over the years – from Epitaph, to Victory, to Go-Kart Records… ouch! If the vocalist sounds familiar, it’s because it’s because he went on to form and sing in the band Pulley. Random fact: he was also once a Major League Baseball player.

Slick Shoes took a poppy approach to the skate punk sound, following directly in the footsteps of MxPx. I’m surprised more pop punk kids don’t jock them today. Also, I admire that their band name manages to reference The Goonies without sounding completely ridiculous (sorry Chunk, No Captain Chunk!, I still love you guys!).

About uppercut613

thx 4 reading. i love u all. harass me here: https://www.facebook.com/aaronross613
This entry was posted in bands i like, bands u may have slept on, old shit, punk and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

139 Responses to A Crucial Look Into The 90′s Cali Skatepunk Scene

1. FBA217 says:

Lagwagon were on the first tony hawks pro skater soundtrack. I was 12. It was both dope and tight.

2. Nightshift says:

All my friends at my 90s public jr high and high school must have loved every band on Lookout! and skated in between weed and pills. Lol Ten Foot Pole. Pennywise = my gateway to hardcore and metal and sardonic laughter. I just couldn’t get into this sappy stuff. I will however note that this is how a lot of kids got into everything and I’m elitist enough to say it’s preferable to getting into Hc and metal via ICP and Mudvayne. #DFL #Union13

3. policerespond says:

oh wow i remember reading somewhere that PTV started out as something of an AFI cover band in high school and i couldn’t really picture how that would have sounded but now i totally get it!

4. Nightshift says:

Hey remember Ruth Ruth?

• Dee Snarl says:

Vaguely. I think I finally got rid of The Little Death, or it might still be lost in my collection. Produced by Mr. Brett, I wanna say…

5. 665.99999999 says:

Bact tard, skate punk was the soundtrack to my life in middle school, the innocent days inb4 I went full imn in high school :(

Prob my fav unknown/overlooked band from the era would be wax, who unironically landed a cameo in the Paulie Shore movie biodome (srs). The entire soundtrack was p much them, dance hall crashers, and vodoo glow skulls, from what I remember. No care ever if that’s more ska than punk, dat playlist was fire

• Tom says:

Wax was awesome and only seem to be remembered by that one video, which is too bad even though that video is awesome. Also, the drummer is one of the guys on Jackass.

6. TLDR says:

Thankfully, these types of bands were as deep as I got into punk rock. I still back NOFX etc and saw them a few years back, they were one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

IMO the holy trinity of 90′s skatepunk was NOFX, Pennywise, and AFI. In fact, the first AFI CD I ever got I got for free for subscribing to Thrasher skate magazine. I still have the issue advertising the deal, but I’ll be damned if I can find the CD, LOL.

Not to be an internet skate punk nerd, but IMO Strung Out blows Sick Shift out of the water. Sick Shift is still cool tho.

Did not know thrice was a skatepunk band first, thx 4 informing me!

Also I always wondered why pulley sounded like ten foot pole. Never realized why lol

Crazy how good gimp was for being high school kids. The crazy thing about this era was that recordings sucked ass, so if they were good on recording and playing this genre then they were going to sound good live too.

• uppercut613 says:

first off, totally agree with the NOFX comment. i saw them for the first time in like 2005 and they opened with the decline. one of the most epic shows i’ve ever been to.

secondly, that’s funny you mention that about strung out because when i wrote that sick shift was the best skate punk band with metal guitars at the time i was thinking of putting “besides maybe strung out” in brackets haha.

IMO while discussing who pioneered the whole “skate punk with metal guitars” thing, RESET needs to be brought into the discussion. it’s the singer and drummer from simple plan’s old band (srs). the bassist from SP was in them at one point too. their first album came out in 1996, very advanced for it’s time imo since most bands at the time were still doing the skatepunk 1.0 sound (power chords + octave riffs). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx6RpuV8ISk

and lastly, i totally agree with the gimp comment. those dudes were nuts for their age! tv rapist = instant 90′s skatepunk classic.

• uppercut613 says:

one more thing i have to mention since you pointed out the recording quality sucking ass in that era. IMO donuts n glory’s album is produced AMAZINGLY well for an unknown band in 1996. srsly so advanced for its time.

• TLDR says:

Well I think I went overboard by saying the recordings sucked ass. They just did so in comparison to modern times. They were overall pretty listenable, but my main point is that in order for your bands recording to sound good, your band had to actually be good.

• uppercut613 says:

yeah i get what you’re saying. most of the bands from that era are pretty listenable i think, I’m not super super picky. it’s 80′s punk that i have a problem with the production.

7. TLDR says:

Cool post thx 4 writing!

8. SolarFlareSuperior says:

Even tho I’m 21 I still love skate punk. My older sister had mxpx, unwritten law, AFi, offspring, and old warped tour CDs so I grew up hearing that kind of stuff. I remember being into that and mainstream metal in early high school up until I got into hardcore/metal/deathcore stuff. That’s as far into punk as I get into tho. All those bands had decent musicianship and usually sang about relatable things instead of sounding drunk and singing about nonsense. Also it’s hated by the tr00 punx, recordcollectorcore kids, and gaslight anthem/rockabilly 50s hipster punks so that’s a plus. Are there any current bands doing that style still? I know of pour habit and heartsounds who are pretty cool but I was wondering if there were any others. I know bands like STYG and close your eyes have elements of that in their sound as well.

• uppercut613 says:

im 25 so im young for being into it as well. i pretty much grew up on it even though it was way before my time. i’d imagine most of the OG skatepunk fans are 30+ by now.

to be honest, i dont keep up with current skatepunk really. im amazed fat wreck even signed pour habit but i think part of it was due to the gimmick of them being black dudes from compton (fat mike even made a comment saying something like “this is probably the only band from compton that we’ll ever sign!). i think the skatepunk scene died out in north america after the 90′s but it carried on into europe where it’s a smaller-type niche.

alot of people in the skatepunk community are into this band from spain lately so you could check them out. they just released an album this last summer. http://adrenalized.bandcamp.com/

• TLDR says:

Yeah, Skatepunk peaked in mid to late 90′s, was still around in the early 2000′s, and now seemingly only exists in Santa Cruz, home of Good Riddance and Fury 66.

I’m 27 and got into the tail end of it, my first warped tour was 2000 and it was still primarily skate punk and had half pipes and skaters and shit.

• alex says:

Lol crazy how much warped tour changed over the years isn’t it. My intro to this style was the first ever new zealand warped tour with reel, big fish, mighty bosstones, 311, blink 182 and pennywise plus local acts. Of course the second and final new zealand warped tour turned into a riot and it never came back lol.

• alanso says:

Another 27 club member reporting. I still remember being 15 or so and thinking Nofx were ‘real punk’ and I couldn’t understand why Rancid were called punk cos they were so slow.

Skate punk got me into hardcore but hardcore is a fad, still listen to skate punk doe

• MrBates says:

I love skate punk even tho I’m only 16. I like how the bands in the genre usually have good/relatable/srs lyrics but don’t take themselves too seriously.
      Good new skate punk bands would be Implants (they are, however, made up of ex members of Strung Out, Ten Foot Pole, Pulley etc.), then there are two rad australian bands you definitely need to check out: Local Resident Failure + The Decline

• mc potato says:

^
        didn’t see your comment lol

• uppercut613 says:

i’ve been listening to that implants album recently. so sick! some of the best throwback 90s skatepunk ive heard in a long time. even more appropriate that it’s done by dudes who played in those bands in the 90s! (i hear some old strung out in them)

• mc potato says:

well yeah there are not so many current bands playing exact so cal skate punk style, but you can check Implants (kinda “super group”), CPA, Strike Twelve, Local Resident Failure and Frenzal Rhomb last album (the band is pretty old but this album released in 2012 and it sounds sooo fresh and cool like omg).
      btw I don’t think this scene is dying, it’s not big but there are still so many great new bands, they just play different blends of pop punk/punk rock/etc

• MrBates says:

Man the last Frenzal Rhomb album. Best skate punk jams since the 90s. I’ve never been so stoked for a new album as I am currently for their new one.

• uppercut613 says:

frenzal rhomb had some legit jams back in the day! my friend was telling me their last album is skatepunk as fuck, so i def gotta check that out

9. SolarFlareSuperior says:

Also interesting you post the pre-PTV band early times. As a PTV fan(despite the fangirling they have some p sweet jams) I can hear a little bit of their early skate punk days in their music. Props to them for not forgetting their roots

• uppercut613 says:

yeah, i dont care much for PTV but i remember when i saw them live (waiting for ADTR to headline) thinking it was cool that they had some “fast parts”. even early times kinda foreshadows the style that they’d eventually go on to play.

10. TLDR says:

I feel like one thing worth noting in this post is that the very existence of fast parts, IE the “fat wreck chords” or “punk” double kick beat in almost any modern band exists as a relic of this period. Sort of like how my Dad, a history teacher, told me how the suburban lawn is actually a useless relic descended from medieval times where lords showed off their wealth by keeping large pieces of land unused and well manicured.

From the modern show’s point of view, fast parts are a RESTING period in between breakdowns or intense sing along parts or whatever. They exist as a staple of songwriting, but everyone just stands around during them as opposed to circle pitting or push moshing like people did at Pennywise shows in the 90′s.

11. nu♘♘tej says:

Thanx for this post, it’s way more interesting for me, as in the 90′s I automatically disregarded all the Epitaph/Fat Wreck bands (my mindset was, “I’ve heard Bad Religion/Pennywise/NOFX/Guttermouth/Strung Out…so what”), so these 2nd-tier bands are like going on a musical-safari.

12. Bronson says:

Damn dude, you are on some next-level shit here – NEVER in my life would I imagine anybody posting about fucking Cigar, haha. Although I was too tr00 to listen to skatepunk until waaay after it was relevant, I always lumped these bands under the umbrella of “OCBargainbincore”, because you’d always see the cds of all of these bands (maybe not that thrice EP) for like $3.99 in the used section of whatever record store you went to in Southern California back in the early 2000s. Anyway, that’s how I found out who most of these bands were – how you did it living in Canadia I have NO idea. Some of these bands (particularly Slick Shoes) got slightly larger recognition outside of CA, but for the most part it was hard for me to imagine anybody caring about these stuff outside of The Home Land.

• uppercut613 says:

dude… I am the ultimate ISPN (internet skate punk nerd), of course i know about all these bands! tbh i couldve geeked out about 200+ other bands but i had to stop myself at 12. one genre i think NO ONE would want to hear me geek out about (because i would just go on forever about it) is mid-late 90′s cali skatepunk’s younger brother… late 90′s-early 2000′s QUEBEC (french canada) skatepunk. soooo many good bands, and all of them completely unknown outside of quebec!

funny you mention cigar, i actually SAW them live at a legion hall in some small canadian town 30 minutes outside of my city in like 2003. they put on an awesome set. i remember them all looking really old (of course i was 15 at the time, so everyone in bands looked old to me). dug up some old photos of the show, and they in fact did look old… but mainly the drummer: http://www.junkedcamera.com/03/apr/cigar/cigar02.jpg

slick shoes definitely were one of the more popular bands i mentioned. saw them headline here in like 2002 or 2003 to a decent sized crowd (maybe like 200 kids) and then again at 2003 warped tour.

and i love the term OCBargainbincore. so accurate it hurts. i feel like we should really make that a thing on here.

• wiggles says:

the only quebec punk band i know is the Sainte Catherines, and they are def not skate punk, but they are awesome

• Latinoheat!!! says:

OCbargainbincore!! my thoughts exactly!!! dem shitty photoshop skills were still amaze to a young boy like myself when this whole scene blew up!!

dat feel when you are ten years old in 1998 and steal one of those xtreme sports magazines with a mountain dew skatepunk demo cd in it from the local ampm cuz it also has tips n tricks from dave mothafukin’ mirra n a blind sticker to put on your mothafuckin’ ghetto skooter that your tia got you from tj cuz skooters over here were too much sellers-market-priced n shit!!

in be4 i start to play THPS/dave mirra freestyle bmx on tha ps1!!

13. Oh man, it’s so cool to see someone else talking about Cigar!

Anyone ever get down with SATANIC SURFERS?

• uppercut613 says:

someone on a forum suggested i do a post on 90s swedish skatepunk, like satanic surfers, adhesive, pridebowl, randy, no fun at all, venerea etc. but i think thatd be way too obscure and niche for SYWH haha.

14. Neal G says:

Here’s a few others not mentioned – MxPx, Bigwig, Bouncing Souls, Pulley, Chixdiggit, Diesel Boy, Fun Size, The Vandals

15. Tom says:

Wow, this does bring back a lot of memories. I was a teenager at the tail end of this and thought it was so awesome. I saw Off the Record at a skate park in 2001/2002 and thought they killed it.

I agree that a lot of these bands seemed huge at the time and now history has all but forgotten them. Limp was another cool one. Some of the members of Ten Foot Pole were also in 80s Nardcore band Scared Straight too.

• uppercut613 says:

yeah. 80s nardcore was basically the precursor to 90s cali skatepunk. i think that scene definitely influenced the first generation of fat wreck bands bands.

and dude, im so jealous that you saw off the record. that’s one band i’d never get to see living up in canada. “remember when” is always going to be one of my all time favorite albums.

• Tom says:

Yeah, it was one of the first DIY shows I ever went to. I had no idea who they were and the singer got up on stage and said they had an important announcement and everyone got close. Me, being stupid, thought he really had something important to say but then he was like “WE ARE OFF THE RECORD FROM CALIFORNIA AND ARE HERE….” and then they started playing. The were fucking awesome and closed with the title track of Remember When.

• Tom says:

I bought their second album Mulligan but I have no idea what happened to it.

• uppercut613 says:

dude, funny thing is i never actually listened to Mulligan because people kept telling me how bad it was compared to their first album so i basically got scared to listen to it, fearing that it would tarnish my opinion of the band and their epic masterpiece “remember when”. i think i remember listening to samples from it and not being that impressed. i should really finally just check it out in full though.

i LOVE their follow up EP though (last thing they ended up releasing sadly). it came out in 2004 and they incorporated some “modern” elements (it starts off with a metalcore breakdown haha). its more like a mix between pop punk and mid2000score as opposed to skatepunk but its still really awesome.

16. I perma-borrowed my friend’s Cinema Beer Nuts comp in back in ’98 and got really into this derpy Assorted Jelly Beans song on there. There were also p awesome songs by the Vandals, Ignite, MxPx, Strife (which to this day, IMO has some of the sickest hardcore riffing ever), and some pretty cringe-worthy songs by the Lunachicks, Link 80, and the Voodoo Glow Skulls.

The Nitro Records’ “Deep Thoughts” comp was also really awesome and at the time, paired really well with the super popular (at least where I lived) “Punk-O-Rama 2” disc.

• wiggles says:

Punk-o-rama 5 was my intro into punk. much love for those old comps

• uppercut613 says:

compilations = ultimate way for discovering new punk bands in the 90s.

• TLDR says:

Victory Style 3 4 lyfe!!!!!

• The “Physical Fatness 3″ (Fat Wreck Chords) comp was another huge one for me in high school! That disc was a who’s who of the 90’s skatepunk scene. “Short Music for Short People” was another good one.

Dude, I haven’t thought in years about how much fun it was to listen to those comps and discover then-new bands! What a great post!

• Dee Snarl says:

Punk-O-Rama 2 is one of my favorite comps of any type, ever. Also the original Give ‘Em The Boot. I picked up all the dirt cheap comps I could; also sold ‘em, as I worked for retail corporate overlords. Short Music For Short People is great and still gets a fair amount of play from me, but I wish more bands would have been a little more adventurous on it. But… marketing….

17. chrisPMA says:

Best post I read on this website. Srs.

18. uppercut613 says:

also, i wish i could find the music video for that broken bubble song by ten foot pole but its not on youtube. i saw it on some punk music video compilation from the 90s, forget what it was called. this post was severely lacking in music videos but i guess the pre-youtube mentality for unknown bands wouldve been like “our music video isn’t gonna get played anywhere so what’s the point?” either that or they were lacking in the funds.

19. TLDR says:

Speaking of nardcore, I saw Ill Repute in high school and they ruled

20. alex says:

I lived this for this shit when I was 16 (30 now). Still blast my fat music and punk o rama comps. Also was anyone else into onefoot and early hopeless bands like horace pinker, digger, nobodys, adhesive etc. Weirdly at my high school the popular kids loved this stuff (a rural high school in new zealand). Although I personally had an equal amount of friends & enemies amongst the cool kids, average kids, nerds and weirdos. Anyway epic post and I still back Slick Shoes.

• uppercut613 says:

haha. I’ve heard stories actually that the jocks from my high school were really into no use for a name in the 90′s (i went to high school in the mid-2000′s). i know onefoot records. do you remember a band called funbox on that label? they were from my city and lived like 20 minutes away from me, except i was in like elementary school (I’m 25 now) when they were active in the mid-90′s. I’m bummed that i missed out on seeing so many sick bands live from back then and being involved in what was such a sweet music scene.

• TLDR says:

When I was in high school, the football jocks loved skate punk and pantera, the wrestling team was 1/2 vegan straight edge hardcore kids, and the rednecks loved club rap and country (srs).

• uppercut613 says:

that’s so strange haha. i guess the whole jocks liking skate punk thing goes against my comment about craig’s brother! it almost makes sense though. like, in the 90′s, punk music was really popular, to the point where preppy kids would be into it, whereas i feel like metalcore, hardcore, and emo type stuff was really underground back then. then in the 2000′s, no one gave a shit about punk music anymore, and the metalcore/hardcore/emo genres got big.

• alex says:

Yea funbox was sweet. And yea started getting to hardcore/metalcore via hearing strife on cinema beer nuts in 2001 and no one i knew even knew what it was lol. Times have changed. I would also like someone to do a post on 90s skacore like link 80 and against all authority.

• I got that comp from a friend in early ’98 and played the shit out of that Strife song! Those riffs are still siiiiick!

“Enough” by Link 80 was a favorite of mine a really long time ago and bonus points for the (late) singer’s mom being romance novelist, Danielle Steel.

• Bronson says:

That’s part of the reason why trupunx hated on epifat punk so much – those albums moved units (NOFX has had some certified gold records, after all), and while the genre itself was still firmly rooted in being alternative, it was polished and accessible enough for reasonably normal, athletic, moderately good looking people to be into it (which is highly threatening to any social outcast in a leather jacket). Probably more so in California than perhaps some other places, liking this kind of punk was totally the norm. Literally, the FYE stores in Orange County had a “punk/ska” section filled to the brim with this sort of stuff (which was very frustrating to a tr00fag such as myself, who had to sift through all those ‘poser bands’ to find an $17.99 copy of “I Against I”). Weird to imagine these days, but this sort of music was definitely a popular presence back then.

• uppercut613 says:

everything you just described basically sums up why i was such a wannabe 90′s fag growing up. i went to high school in the peak era of mid-2000score (2002-2006) and hated everything that was going on musically at the time in the “alternative” scene. mainstream music sucked back then too imo. sarge makes fun of kids who wished they lived in the 90′s but i think it’s moreso for the hardcore/metalcore/emo/screamo scene of that era, which i do not care for. im just all about the 90s punk. it didnt even stop at music sadly, i even remember thinking video games of that era were way better and that sega genesis was the “ultimate video game system”. i’m glad that i’m past that phase and that i can get into new music now.

• TLDR says:

I had a sega genesis and played the fuck out of it in the 90s.

• Latinoheat!!! says:

pshh… SNES or muerte foos!!! >;P

genesis > SNES by far. sorry brah

21. Bathory says:

Why don’t you faggots post about black metal. Real fucking music man. Not gay pop punk shit.

22. poopy says:

This post makes me relive my jr high days. Off The Record, Craig’s Brother, MxPx, Slick Shoes. Ahhh, so great. I also just a little bummed you didn’t have my home town heros Good Riddance.

23. benj says:

Dude I KNOW youre into les vulgaires machins amirite???
    Also can’t bloody beleive belvedere came up in the comments. Great post, miss this stuff

• uppercut613 says:

lol well, im canadian so belvedere is (or atleast was) relatively well known here. i probably saw that band like 10 times in high school atleast. haha. me and my friends were actually there when they shot one of their music videos.

video turned out to be kinda crappy quality, but it was cool to be involved with it. pretty sure thats my old friend nick stage diving at 1:35 haha.

and tbh i never got into vulgaires machines. maybe a couple songs back in the day. didnt they only sing in french?

Uppercut is an ultra fag

25. Bored says:

When did this become a punk blog anyway? Too many posts about this genre lately. Boring.

26. Bathory says:

Black metal you faggots

27. Bathory says:

Non gay music that isn’t for skateboarding gays and guys that work at pizza joints.

28. Bathory says:

Bronson u don’t even know me. I make a considerable sum of money and my job is far from menial. I put on Darkthrone while smashing hot model bitches. What do u do? Jerk off over pictures of Taylor Swift? Fag.

29. powdakilla says:

Oh lawd…The feels this generated, No-FX, Ten foot pole, Strung out and Lagwagon was the first show I went to (In 1994). The nostalgia this post generated for me, holy shit! I miss those days back in the 613.

30. Jek Porkins says:

bitchin’ post, very relevant to my interests. great job.

31. Slayer12 says:

Cool post, Blount were another really good band from the mid 90′s. Sure people still talk about NOFX, Strung Out and Lagwagon, collectively these bands sold millions of records! Some of you talk about this scene like it’s dead, but here in California and in spots like Australia and Quebec these bands still draw huge crowds, larger then many “current” trendy scene bands. Not to Mention Rise Against, who seam to be quite relevant these days, are really just 88 Fingers Louie with a different singer. Metallica was skatepunk in 86.

32. mike says:

thrice<3

33. Nils says:

Tony hawk pro skater got me intro skatepunkt

34. shawnyouwillhate says:

sick list- very obscure!

ten foot pole rev is one of my favorite albums of all time!

had the slick shoes ep too with the blue cover, lol

35. Hobo Wes says:

This article is great. Brings back memories of the middle school tony hawk days

36. MasterSlave says:

“just as well or even better than them”

I got into punk on the internet before people really used to do that and I always thought there were a ton of unknowns doing this style way better than the popular bands who I never much cared for. That Gimp song is fucking great, looking forward to the rest

mp3.com skate punk charts <3

Some of the more blue collar coastal cities in Orange County (Huntington Beach/Costa Mesa) still have small fan bases of skatepunk. It’s mostly older stuff like Agent Orange, mixed with Americana-ish bands (basically anything Mike Ness touches.) Shows are still played quite regularly here in dive bars. Going to them is like checking out a zoo or museum filled with people that exemplify where your life is headed after 30 years of bad choices and occasional meth use.

So the scene is still live, just in a very depressing way.

• Anon says:

Are you from that area? I’m in HB and I see a lot more old school punk/Social Distortion than let’s say Lagwagon fans.

• TLDR says: