How To Get Into Real Hardcore™: A Step-By-Step Tutorial

rhfd111

Are you tired of feeling like a pussy because all you listen to is pop punk? Do all of your friends make fun of you because you’re still into risecore? Do you wish you were into music with more credibility, giving you that special validation that you’ve been craving for so long? Well, I’ve got good news for you! I have created a special guide specifically designed to help kids just like you to begin their exciting transition into Real Hardcore™.

stoked5

Step 1. The Attitude – Knowing How To Act

Before I get into what bands you are going to listen to and the actual music itself, I’ll begin with something that’s far more crucial – your attitude towards the music. Since hardcore comes and goes in cycles and whatever is considered Real Hardcore™ just depends on the season, the attitude is the one thing that remains constant and never changes. You basically want people to know how seriously you take the genre, and that it’s more than just music – it’s a way of life (which usually lasts approximately 2-3 years depending on the person).

hardcorememe

What Bands Do I Hate On?

An essential step in becoming immersed in the Real Hardcore™ community is identifying the fake, disingenuous bands and hating on them. This will show people that not only are you credible for the bands that you like, but you’re also credible for the bands that you don’t like. But much like Real Hardcore™, the fake hardcore scene is also constantly changing. It’s important to be aware of this so you don’t end up making a fool of yourself and hating on bands that no one really cares about anymore (like complaining about how you’re so sick of the scene being over-flooded with generic deathcore bands for example). But be careful – you don’t want to be “too obvious” with the bands you hate on either because it might make you look like you’re trying too hard. There are ways around this, though – for example, instead of hating on Asking Alexandria, try hating on Capture The Crown. Both bands sound pretty much the same except Capture The Crown is way less famous.

wordstermstouse

Wait, I know what you’re thinking… “I’m getting into hardcore… one of the most derivative, generic forms of music out there. How could I possibly criticize other bands for possessing these exact same traits?” Don’t worry about it – the fans of these bands you’re hating on are way too wrapped up in enjoying their own music that they won’t even be able to notice this enough to call you out on your hypocrisy. You’re in the clear!

I See Stars covering Bane gives you the perfect opportunity to hate on a scenecore band for jocking the Real Hardcore™ lifestyle. Try lashing out at them by calling this cover “disrespectful”. How is a band covering another band’s material disrespectful? Who knows, but let’s just roll with it. You also can diss I See Stars for having electronic elements in their music (using synthesizers totally isn’t hardcore); just don’t let your friends know that Bane’s vocalist is a dubstep DJ.

2. The Fashion – Knowing What To Wear

Image is a key aspect when getting into Real Hardcore™. You are going to want to start fresh and get rid of any style of clothing that pertains to the music that you used to listen to. Camo shorts have always been popular in the hardcore scene. Either that or a pair of tight black jeans. Band shirts are a must, but just make sure it’s a credible band. You don’t want to show up to a Real Hardcore™ show in an A Day To Remember shirt. That would be embarrassing to say the least! A basketball jersey and backwards baseball cap are other good articles of clothing which can help give you that real “street” look.

Backtrack-04
This Real Hardcore™ band can be spotted wearing camo shorts on stage.

As far as your hair, keep it short or grow it out long – just make sure you don’t look like you put any effort into styling it. If you absolutely feel like you MUST keep your scene kid swoopy hair, make sure it’s kept at a reasonable length and absolutely NO flat ironing unless you can convince your friends that that’s just how your hair “naturally is”.

hairguy

3. The Music – Knowing What Bands To Listen To (and What Bands To Avoid)

Now that I’ve got the important points out of the way, let’s get into the music.

What Bands Should I Avoid?

A while back, Sarge wrote a post on Hardcore-core. Although these bands are associated with the hardcore scene, they should not be confused with Real Hardcore and should be avoided at all costs. “How can I spot the difference”? you ask? Facebook likes are usually an easy way to tell whether a band is Real Hardcore or not. Most Real Hardcore bands have less than 100,000 likes, whereas some of the Hardcore-core bands have up to 200,000.

hardcorecomparison

What Current Bands Should I Listen To?

Rotting Out is a prime example of a current band to get into. They’re touring with The Story So Far, so if you’re still iffy about Real Hardcore, this gives you a chance to “test the water” so to speak. If it doesn’t work out, then you could fall back on watching The Story So Far headline and say “at least I tried”.

Expire is another great band to get intoWe are lucky to have labels like Bridge 9 to tell us what bands are OK to listen to. Being from Milwaukee doesn’t give them much street cred, but their music goes hard, so we’ll look past that.

Everything about Backtrack just screams authentic Real Hardcore™. They usually tour with hardcore-core bands, so be this gives you time to relax and stand with your arms folded in the back after their set is done.

What Older Bands Should I Jock?

Choosing what old bands to jock can be a very tricky and nerve-racking process. “What if I pick the wrong one?” A band like Madball is a safe bet. They sound like a crappier version of the current bands you’ll get into so there’s no point in listening to them that much, but at least be aware of their existence and pretend to like them.

I almost confused myself when I thought of Terror. A band that came out when I was in high school and had little credibility in the Real Hardcore community at the time? Just goes to show how much things change because now you will jock Terror and consider them hardcore veterans.

Jocking a band who’s broken up is great – it gives you the credibility of being into a band that’s no longer around AND you don’t have to deal with the stress of memorizing their lyrics so you could shout them at the vocalist when you go to their show (“omg what if I mess up the words?!”). It’s basically a win-win situation!

And there you have it, my friends! I hope you can follow this guide because before you know it you will be well on your way into being an accepted member in the Real Hardcore™ community. Enjoy your visit (and be sure to not stay for too long!).

hardcorewayoflife

About uppercut613

thx 4 reading. i love u all. harass me here: https://www.facebook.com/uppercut613
This entry was posted in advice, hardcore and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to How To Get Into Real Hardcore™: A Step-By-Step Tutorial

1. steez messiah says:

But can I still be real hardcore while jocking DOWNSET? idk if they’re broken up or not. :/

2. nu♘♘tej says:

I’ve been trying to GET OUT of REAL HARDCORE© for years now, I tried increasing my dietary-fiber/reducing my sodium intake, aversion-therapy, chemical-castration, gel-insoles & going to the Kabbalah center, nothing helps.

3. Void Eater says:

Ripping off Asking Alexandria and TDWP makes you a cookie cutter genericore band; ripping off Terror and Hatebreed means that you’re paying homage to your roots and respecting the history of hardcore

• steez messiah says:

This type of logic never ceases to amaze me. Someday REAL hardcore and scene bands are just gonna influence a whole new generation of bands where they cite Fury of Five and Abandon All Ships as major influences.

• Anonymous says:

Bands like Suiside Silense cite both Suffocation and Korn as influences, which are on opposite sides of the “real music” spectrum, so yeah it wouldn’t be surprising when ppl non ironically cite Merauder and Attack Attack as influences.

• uppercut613 says:

i would love to see this day. also, if that happens, then my big hipster claim would be to have been the first guy to call abandon all ships “trancecore veterans”

• ben says:

yo dude you made a big mistake in the article. asking alexandria is metal/rockband not hc band. and i see stars is a fuckin joke im not talking bout the cover song(wich i realy love ) but the music is horible and those melodic vocals(damn). stick to your guns sucks not just as a hc band but its bout the music the sound and composition is just boring. dead end path is young band they still have a chance to have so much fb fans :D i totally understand author of the article why is he upset and have a scene problem. he just dont know whats punk and whats rock !! its good that hc punk scene is not for everyone!! where`s bad brains ,black flag, warzone ,cro-mags or agnostic front in this article ??

• triumphant gleam says:

respecting the history of hardcore? you mean of bunch of horrible-at-life dudes mashing on guitars? this post is aimed at you haha

• DanIstheBastard says:

Especially funny because when Hatebreed came out the scene consensus was that, although they went hard and were hilarious dudes, they were NOT real hardcore! Real hardcore at the time was Snapcase, Earth Crisis, V.O.D., etc. Hatebreed was just imitating the wrong kind of metal I guess.

When Terror came out it was the same deal – OH THAT NEW TOUGH GUY HATEBREED RIP OFF BAND?!?!

• “ripping off Terror and Hatebreed means that you’re paying homage to your roots and respecting the history of hardcore”….dude have you ever heard the Bad Brains or the Circle Jerks? THAT is the history and roots of hardcore

hm not familiar with Bad Brain, is that an old 90s band? don’t really listen to a lot of that stuff, maybe i should check it out tho!! Thanks for the suggestion!

4. BenYaBoy says:

I feel like the relations between the hardcore scene and other scenes such as pop-punk/metalcore are really on the up and up. eg. TSSF and Terror are both headlining a show here soon.

IMO it has to do with Tumblr driving the alleged open-mindedness of kids these days. There’s still the base of scenecore or tr00 pop punk but kids have diversified. You can see this in any teen’s ask box answers; “yeah I still jam my TDWP and stuff but u know what I understand the roots of the hardcore I like to keep an open mind about the stuff is listen to (:”

5. Brutalfist says:

That’s the first time I’ve tuned into Rotting Out. Really expected him to ask his mum for a pepsi.

• Latinoheat!!! says:

fucking this!!! i also like pissing the hxc-scene police off by saying that i do like hatebreed as it is essentially a really good “crossover” band =]

Back to one of my fav hxc “beanerxcore/LAXHC” bands tho…everytime i hear this band’s band name (rotting out) i think of THIS band cuz their band Initial Logos are somewhat similiar even though they both play very distinctive forms of gross punk….. core (aka recordcollectorcore/stevenblushcore/moshcore/3se-T3@koR3)
      =]

PS: the above band is also good to jock cuz like they are super obscure n stuff n have prolly less than 100,000 likes on FB n they prolly still have a myspace they don’t update since 2010 (RIP! =[)

6. i don't get it says:

lmao, awesome article!

7. DanIstheBastard says:

In all seriousness, as an elderly person who spends 100% more time at work or at Panera eating baked good with my kids than at shows, I really appreciate posts like this that aware me to new(er) hardcore bands.

I love that while this is a an A+ joke, some kid out there could legitimately use this guide to get into Real Hardcore. The humor is so based in reality that it transcends it or some shit. Brillant.

• Brozilian says:

wouldn’t be surprised if someone posted it in a srs music blog and ppl actually started following it/10

• uppercut613 says:

lol i already posted it on the bridge 9 message board and some guy said “I agree with this article unironically”

• cougar party says:

Lol, my exact thoughts while reading this. It’s totally a joke post, but it’s lessons are absolutely true! I never got into hardcore, but I feel like I could go to a show and blend right in with the tr00 fans!

• uppercut613 says:

The humor is so based in reality that it transcends it or some shit.

it’s sad that this article reflects how like 90% of kids who go to hardcore shows act.

my earliest and fondest memory of a “tr00 hardcore kid” getting exposed cause he used to listen to metalcore (and the moment when i realized that most of these kids are all the same) happened way back in 2005. it was on a local punk message board and some guy posted about the band still remains. anyway, the “hardcore kid” basically bitched about how they were a generic cookie cutter metalcore band and then some dude who i guess knew him posted an old pic of him wearing an atreyu shirt with swoopy hair (i’m guessing this was from like 6 months prior).

LINK: http://www.punkottawa.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=36428&start=15&sid=bf265eb4e9fb2a959b981252de22227f

still laugh everytime i see it

• TLDR says:

lololol I love these stories so much

its like who cares really? People are going to find out if you were a scene kid most likely so you might as well just roll with it and have fun listening to whatever :)

9. wlfblnkt says:

Don’t forget the term “over produced”! As in, this band sounds so over produced! It’s a term that makes you sound like a Real Industry Insider.

10. Nightshift says:

I like that Killing Time shirt. I have the boring “Only The Strong Survive” one. I think every old band needs to invest in new merch designs. So many opportunities to generate if not income, at least hype.

11. Dr.man says:

Being as old as I am I remember when realm hardcore ment gg allin black flag and agnostic front. I also remember telling 90s kids that straight edge wasnt real hardcore and how they where the posers now I have a nephew who talks about suicide silence and how deathcore is way more true and underground than that poser metalcore, but really in the end how much cred does listening to a dead guy who ate poop really have? now I mostly just listen to whatever i feal like regardless of what cred it has (hatsune miku ftw). also just to mess with my nephew i told him that real brutal music only comes from norway and he should only listen to old mayhem then i told about the fight euronomys had with varg and it scared the shit out of him.

12. Dr.man says:

also ad your list of terms medioCORE

havent heard any Kids These Days use it, but reminded me of this

• Dr.man says:

wow i love how they think that the’re actually original, this remeinds me of a friend i once had who talked about how bands just ripped off eachother and how his band was so original, thaen it turned out he was in a cover band. his excuse was that the bands he covered where
        more creative than most bands. lets just say i havnt talked to him in a long while.

• Latinoheat!!! says:

i have a theory that teenagers like us in the early to mid 00s under the bush administration suffered through our own version of the reagan administration… cept for like finally downloading free music and like destroying the old way of thinking about paying for music n like communicating (myspace!) n shit…

idk tho… us youngoldfgz have a long way to go though =/

13. nimplysaked says:

Hardcore = like the music, but not all the bullshit that comes with it. IMNs and tr00 hxc bros are cut from the same cloth imo :(

• uppercut613 says:

IMNs and tr00 hxc dudes are can be similar in the way of how seriously they take the music but very different in other ways. for example, the average IMN would probably be too busy discovering every obscure early 90′s black metal band from some forested norweigan area to spend too much time hating on bands like the hxc kids do.

14. k10 says:

10 Points to Gryffindor

15. kebert xela says:

this is great. i’m going to use this guide successfully infiltrate the hardcore scene and look cool. WE MAKE NOISE NOT MUSIC

16. demcats says:

I’m surprised to hear that Terror was once considered anything less than legit. That video is like the most stereotypical “hardcore” thing I’ve seen (at least by today’s standards), especially with the scenes where they shop for shoes and records lol. Also I like the inclusion of “Hardcore Band” in the video title. thanks

• uppercut613 says:

Terror’s status when they came out might need some extra fact checking, but from what i remember, they were very very entry-level and metalcore kids were into them.

• Bronson says:

No, it’s true – Terror was definitely considered (by some) to be a tough guy band band for posers back in the day. Being a snobby little OC punker, I HATED that “tough guy hardcore bullshit” way back when (and I knew others who felt similarly). Then you stop giving a shit about tr00 music so much and let your life fall apart a couple times, and then all of a sudden Terror actually sounds pretty good!

• Booth says:

“Then you stop giving a shit about tr00 music so much and let your life fall apart a couple times, and then all of a sudden Terror actually sounds pretty good!”

A+

• Booth says:

via listening to Christie Front Drive and Funeral Diner meanwhile talking down tough guy bands, then hitting the rock bottom and now Hatebreed is my favorite band.

• TheNewTaylorSwift says:

When I saw them open for Converge in 2004 I thought they were some sort of Spinal Tap parody of 80′s NYHC. Now I love Lowest Of The Low and One With The Underdogs. I believe this makes me a poser.

• TLDR takes hardcore 2 srsly says:

I think this heavily depends on when your definition of “Came out” is. For most people this was around 2004-2005 after they released One With the Underdogs and became popular with metalcore kids via touring with Unearth.

Being from California, this was around 2002-2003 when they were playing Showcase Theater like twice a month and released Lowest of the Low. All I remember from the latter era is discussion of how they were bringing back “real” hardcore and how everyone with an 18 visions shirt was a target in the pit

17. SergeantDick says:

Cringed so hard

Hair straightener jokes in 2013 smmfh

18. Would it be a good Hardcore entry strategy to start hating a band that’s getting too popular? Like should I try to hate on Harms Way or Rotting Out before everybody else does? Or will this just alienate me from the current scene?

• uppercut613 says:

not a good idea to fully hate those kind of bands yet. maybe start off by calling them “okay” or “pretty good but not as good as alot of other lesser known bands”.

Yes I would load up on Rotting Out haterade options. It’s only a matter of time before it is ok to hate on them and you can cash in!

BUY LOW, SELL HIGH

• 3rdgrace says:

HARMS WAY TO BIG (OR SMALL???) TO FAIL?!

• TLDR says:

IMO this will happen if Rotting Out starts playing warped tour or something.

Then it will only be acceptable to like their stuff with their old singer. “They should have just broken up when Mike quit”

• Sven_McSven says:

The guy that organises Warped Tour in Australia said he’s never working with Rotting Out coz he refuses to work with guys who can’t get int’l work permits or something so I think they’re good for now haha. They are definitely one of the hardest jocked tr00 hardcore bands atm

• TLDR says:

Well yes, they have been one of the biggest hardcore bands since like 2009 or so, at least in Cali

LOL @ assuming they cant get intl work permits…. GEE I WONDER HOW HE CAME TO THIS CONCLUSION

depending on the country in question, it really could be hard for Rotting Out to get visas… Canada will often turn you away for even a DUI and I’m pretty sure Walter has been in jail, yes? So that could def be a problem for him when it comes to getting into many countries like Canada or Japan who are super strict. At the very least, it would make it more time consuming and expensive to get thru the paperwork.

• BadScene says:

I dunno, Sludgewave bands are starting to sound a little too overproduced.

19. Sang Duncan's Glass Eye says:

Great article.

20. SolarFlareSuperior says:

Dead @ “we are lucky to have labels like bridge 9 to tell us what music is ok for us to listen to!” I know way too many people like that. NOT BRIDGE 9=NOT MUSIC!

21. xGronex says:

You forgot to mention listening to Deathwish and/or Southern Lord bands, which to me are considered to be more true than B9 these days

• nerd says:

this is true only in v specific subsets. if they put patches on their flannels, they prolly think B9 is poser shit. if they wear snapbacks then they think deathwish has only shitty bands on it. depends on the “state of ur local scene”

22. Chillin' says:

I never got why anyone past the age of 16 or 17 would make the music the listen to a central part of their life. I totally get it if you grew up with the music and the friends you made in the scene had a lasting impact but otherwise it just seems fucking weird.

All I see music as good for is to party with, pretend to like so you can take a kyut girl to a concert of that band they go crazy over or for cleaning the house on Sundays.

All that aside, can we really consider Madball REAL hardcore when Freddy Madball has begun rapping??? Seems to me that that conclusively proves that they were never really hardcore.

• Latinoheat!!! says:

madball has learned from chino moreno, the blink 182 guys, and other hip-hop/metal/music acts a cardinal rule in this industry:

never lay your eggs in one basket… the bubble will burst…
      ..diversify your portfolio n get paid bitch!!

• Chillin' says:

Getting paid is the complete opposite of the hxc ethos. I just knew they were posers.

• SergeantDick says:

Tbh I know I shouldn’t let dumb people affect my enjoyment of music, but when all the hipster metal kids embraced blink-182 as a “guilty pleasure” that kind of ruined the band for me

• i am girl says:

unacceptable BE YOURSELF

• SergeantDick says:

Idk music is always more enjoyable before it transitions from “stuff plebs unironically like” to “stuff smart classy people consider a guilty pleasure.” I swear to god as soon as hipster juggalo happens my great milenko cd is going out the window.

• uppercut613 says:

IMO theres nothing wrong with having music be a big part of your life or being part of a music scene at any age, but it’s just the kids who take it way too seriously, shoving their music taste down other people’s throats & putting so much energy in bashing bands they don’t like. it makes things worse that alot of the reasons that they bash other bands don’t make sense given that it applies to the music they listen to as well (like the whole generic thing). i know im paraphrasing from the original post at this point so you get my point.

also, madball has like maximum credibility in hardcore right now, regardless of him rapping or not. they influenced a whole new wave of “NYHC revival” bands, with trapped under ice being like the “modern” kick-starters to it.

• Chillin' says:

idk man, the comments on YT about Freddy’s rapping career tell me that Madball is just a band for posers who never really got hxc. I think I should listen to them, just to be safe about my cred.

• uppercut613 says:

it really all depends. theres alot of recordcollectorcore kids (read: early 80′s hardcore punk) who probably wouldnt consider any of this stuff “tr00 hxc”. things get complicated with so many different scenes and movements going on at once.

• Bronson says:

Since we are both researchers in the field of dumb things alternative kids like, I feel that it is my fraternal duty as a fellow colleague to inform you that it IS currently okay for recordcollectorcorecore kids to like Madball’s first album (Ball Of Destruction), but it is NOT okay to like any of their their other releases yet, including the other albums that came immediately after BoD that sound exactly the same and have some rerecorded songs.

• uppercut613 says:

is it a rule of thumb for recordcollectorcore kids that “as long as its 80′s, it’s safe”. because thats the only madball release from the 80s i noticed. i feel like alot of the nu-nyhc/reaper records bands were probably influenced by “demonstrating my style”.

• VyceVictus says:

Jesus, you guys have PhDs in Stupid Scene Kid Shit. There’s enough content for a 3 credit hour seminar course in community college.

anybody who even slightly hints at Madball being anything less than THE definitive modern hc band is a fucking idiot poser (completely srs)

• Chillin' says:

Christ, you’d think Madball have done enough to cement their standing in the hxc scene beyond question by now. I’m at a loss at how anyone can deny their influence.

• TLDR says:

!00 % backing Sarge’s post

Madball has been cemented as one of my top 5 favorite hardcore bands of all time since I was like 17

• TLDR, official IHN says:

Actually, Ball of Destruction is pretty different from the other records (serious Madball fan here). I mean if you’re not into hardcore it would of course all sound the same, but the BoD is before Matt Henderson was writing their music, and Freddy (vocalist) was literally like 13 years old (srs)

• 3rdgrace says:

There’s always some ‘destroy the heroes’ thing going on in music, but on much smaller scale ofc. Some edgy 17 year old kids try to look sophisticated if they talk shit on some band that’s considered legendary. It’s easy when mentioned band has some flaw (Madball being too tough and ignorant for youth of today). I think that best example is Metallica, who’s like one of the most important metal bands in the world, but you can hate on them cuz some allegedly “shitty” records from 1994-2003 (which i all like).

nb: not saying that you can’t like legendary bands.

23. Camoshortsxskimp says:

Instructions so that the awkward transiston from post recovery scene-core kid that found pop punx and now wants more tumblr cred and to seem xtuffx and xrealx can be a little easier for you! A+++ post totally nailed it all down
    Also terror fucking sucks

24. Vince says:

So it’s not cool to rip on “generic deathcore” anymore? What are kids these days ripping on? God I feel old.

• uppercut613 says:

i would say they’re ripping on risecore/askingalexandriacore but even that genre seems to be on it’s last leg (example: woe, is me just broke up). maybe someone could provide an in-depth analysis on what the future holds for the “fake hardcore” scene?

• stolcy says:

As someone with a fair amount of diversified groups of friends in different alternative scene subcultures I can offer an extensive analysis of this question. “Real” hardcore will soon find itself caught in a civil war between hardcore and hardcore-core. As more people start to display attention for real hardcore on tumblr their authenticity will be questioned by their real hardcore peers because you will see a Turnstile gif next to a Ghost Inside gif. This will continue and lines will get real blurry and bands / try hard kids will legitimately start dressing as street like as possible to separate themselves. Fortunately tumblr slutz in black leggings + t-shirt + oversized camo jacket + xibalba beanies will still exist, they will just change their t-shirt and beanie to even more “real” bands. Real hardcore kids now basically hate on ex-metalcore kids who got out the game too late and are now listening to “real” hardcore, converted to pop punk (tr00 or EZ), or are like someone starting a froyo business in 2013 and are still listening to death-core. INTERESTINGLY the real hardcore community will still stare quizzically at Skramz kids from afar but will ultimately have some misplaced respect for them. The Skramz kids will not return the sentiment via pre-dispositioned mistaken intellectual superiority/creative art complex.

• stolcy says:

I am the scene’s nostradamus. Speculative investments are a green light, do not hesitate on these.

• uppercut613 says:

this is a very advanced analysis (srs)

*clapping*

• TLDR, official IHN says:

This ^^^ If you were out of scenecore by 2006 or so you’re okay. Otherwise you’re a faggot trendhopping poser

Signed, An Tr00 hXc bro

25. BenYaBoy says:

Oh by the way! Jarrod Alonge, the dude created the videos for Every Pop Punk/Metalcore Vocalist, has now done one for Hardcore vocalists:

26. JohnEmpty says:

Which defunct 90′s death metal band should i say i was listening to two years ago?

27. Alex says:

I’m currently listening to a playlist that covers pop punk, ezcore, real-hardcore, metalcore, deathcore, skramz, post rock, trance core, nintendocore, post rock, post metal, black metal, doom metal, indie, grunge, shoegaze, dubstep, hip hop, folk. Why on earth some people find the need to restrict themselves to some ultra specific subgenre always confuses the hell out of me.

• SergeantDick says:

Damn bro you must have a very well rounded understanding of music

• Alex says:

I guess cos I’m not really part of any subculture I truly like music for how it sounds and dont bother about any rules of what I can listen to.

• VyceVictus says:

You are Not Like Other Guys

• Alex says:

Lol I wasn’t trying to be a special snowflake or nothing. I’ve done plenty of ultra stupid shit its just following scene politics wasn’t amongst it. Plus a I live in a small city in New Zealand an the populations not really big enough for extensive subcultures anyways. Although we still get a lot of good bands playing here including a few from this post.

• SergeantDick says:

Don’t feel bad. Deathspell Omega, Emmure and Justin Bieber are staples in all my playlists.

28. Master_Robocock says:

if i wear baggy pants and love heavy NYHC..i’m still into real hardcore or i’m just a fucking poser or i’m outdated???

29. Rob says:

Oh yeah, you gotta rememer you MUST part
    Your hair and use copious amounts of shitty pomade for that old sKOOL look.

30. trains and hoes trains and hoes says:

Don’t forget the classic talk shit about song,band and/or genre when someone shows it to you and then all of a sudden claim to like it

31. TLDR takes hardcore 2 srsly says:

A+ post, as many others have said this it not only hilarious but could non ironically work to get someone into REAL HXC

I strongly dispute that Terror was considered untr00 early on. I saw them on their first tour ever with In Control circa 2002 and the bros at the show were psyched on a band “not doing that faggot metal shit.”

In fact they may be the first band I ever saw/liked that had the “tr00″ concept about them, and the modern definition of tr00 may even have been launched not by the band themselves but their fans.

I did not think it was possible for my butt to hurt this bad at this point. Congratulations on finding my weak spot

All great bands you listed BTW. Dat Leeway, soooo fucking good

• uppercut613 says:

appreciate it dude. and thanks for calling me out on some of my errors (terror not being untr00, B9 records losing credibility). with all of your insight here, i feel like you couldve written this article better than me now haha. maybe an updated version is in order (How To Get Into Real Hardcore: 2nd Edition)?

& sorry for causing the buttpain on the madball comment haha. funny enough, a few other people were telling me that was their favorite part. tbh i was expecting more backlash/butthurt from tr00 hxc bros but it seems like most people get the joke here.

32. TLDR says:

I actually literally was working on the EXACT same article premise but imo you did it better because mine would have been too long and the jokes too complicated and require too much inside knowledge to be good for most readers.

Maybe I’ll try an “How 2 get into hxc: advanced level” one, but I doubt it would be as good as this.

No need for apologizing about dissing Madball, people liked it so much because it was on Sarge’s level of accuracy pinpointing the “Butthurt Bullseye.” I just don’t get how I could be so familiar with the tactic yet still fall for it.

It worked so well I’m actually going to rant about them having perfect hardcore songwriting for 4 albums straight and the recordings aren’t even that bad for the 90′s!!!! Srs doe everyone should give “Hold It Down” a chance, its imo one of the most listenable “real” hardcore albums there is, although I still maintain that Demonstrate My Style is their best.

And I think my point was that b9 IS in fact losing cred and Reaper is the new tr00 label. From my point of view b9 seems like more of a pop punk label with some hardcore bands, and Reaper has THE fucking hardcore lineup right now. Label rules

• uppercut613 says:

bridge 9 has pop punk bands? i had NO idea. i shouldve mentioned reaper records for sure. didnt know there was such a big hub for all the tr00 bands. i see that turnstile is on that label, that band rules. atleast i mentioned backtrack though (even though they recently switched to B9).

33. TLDR says:

One last IHN comment…

NO DEATH THREAT???? NOT TR00 HXC GUIDE

34. stolcy says:

If someone honestly wanted to know what the “real” hardcore look was all about just dress like these suburban thugs in newer Reaper bands press photos:

• 3rdgrace says:

I used to be an angry skramz kid who would’ve never hanged around with bunch of those scumbaggy looking thugs. now i’m listening to more straight-up hardcore and love moshing and simple lyrics, but i still wouldn’t really want to hang out with those scumbaggy looking thugs.

• Butt Hand says:

How are terror signed to both victory and reaper?

35. jivesucka says:

lol’d at the B9 comment i feel like you shoulda mentioned not to fuck with the crews at shows or you’ll get jumped by 30 ppl and be in the hospital for 3 weeks

36. Nightshift says:

Terror were on Trustkill, right there with 18 Visions in all their mascara’d glory. Early 2000s Terror was like hardcore for kids who looked really tough at Hot Topic, like Bury Your Dead. Of course, hardcore bros never look as tough in person as they did bragging about beating up metalheads on returntothepit.com or lambgoat. I bought One With The Underdogs in 2004 to see what the hype was about. It’s okay. Hatebreed was the beginning of the trend of kids getting into hardcore through Nu-Metal/ICP instead of entry level punk or thrash/Panera. I still like Satisfaction… But you can’t deny that they began the gradual de-outcastification of East Coast style hardcore that continues today, via looking like suburban ex high school football players and not having any really weird cult-like thing like veganism or Hare Krishna.

• TLDR, full blown IHN says:

This sounds like a good thing imo

Terror were on Trustkill AFTER they were on Bridge 9 and had been tr00 for about 2 years or so. Another thing I feel like I could mention if I ever do write that “advanced lvl tr00 hxc” post is that most bands have a tr00ness shelf life of about 2-3 years max before they either break up, fade out of relevance entirely or become too popular and are therefore no longer tr00.

Satisfaction was the first hardcore record I ever got <3 love it to this day

Also 18v ruled mascara or no, and OWTU is a GREAT fucking hardcore record

• Nightshift says:

I’m not qualifying it as good or bad, I’m saying their success coupled with a less “New York” demeanor than SOIA, Madball, Merauder, Breakdown, KT, COT was a catalyst for that style of hardcore ultimately becoming less “troo” due to the influx of mall rat types. Terror’s success is a direct result of that, I don’t care if the individual members were playing in youth crew revival or mid-level moshcore bands for years before that.

• TLDR says:

“Less NY Demeanor”

Ehhhh IDK Frank 3gun looked pretty fucking scummy and was in Terror around that time. Vogel is in OBHC which was more relevant (especially on the west coast) at the time, not sure they had any less of aforementioned demeanor tbh.

And yeah Terror did get that style bigger with metalcore kids or whatever via touring with Unearth etc, but I never heard too many people badmouth them for that. I guess I didn’t spend much time on internet forums back then tho

• nerd says:

funny cuz all the dudes i know who look like this were fucking spat on in hs. weird coincidence i guess..

37. death says:

you fucking faggot.

38. Sven_McSven says:

As a 19 y/o kid who takes hardcore way too srsly I can honestly say that this is an A+ article! Sick bands/excellent analysis/genius humour, too good!

Btw, are guitar solos becoming acceptable again or is that strictly fo SoCal Skatecore bands?

• uppercut613 says:

i have no idea about the guitar solos thing, but thanks i appreciate this comment man. it’s cool to know that even these ultra-srs young hardcore kids that im subtly poking fun of are self-aware enough to enjoy this article. i honestly thought it would cause more genuine butthurt but it didnt at all!

39. xMR. ALAN'Sx says:

The only genre tr00 hxc dudes around here seem to bash is pop pop which is weird because the members of Citizen are treated like gods in the Toledo area. Along with pop punk, established hardcore bands with more than a demo or two seem to be losing cred ie Expire. Too confusing to keep track of so I might as well just listen to Whirr, drink a chai tea latte and drift off to sleep.

40. xMR. ALAN'Sx says:

Pop punk* damn pop pop must be crucial doe

41. Jason Fontaine says:

Genericore (TM) HAHAHAHAHA lost my shit at this

42. MasterSlave says:

Describes me 100% to a t as a teenager. So embarassing

43. Garrrrr says:

hahaha this is some funny shit. i don’t like any of these bands, but when i go to show i’ve seen big fat dudes (buff in their book) wearing all these band shirts lmao.

but if u try to talk shit on Capture the Crown its totally going down.
    Sadface i couldnt see them on the All Stars Tour, because that would of been the place to be for this type of scenario.

LMFAO @ “convince you’re friends this is how your hair normally is”

Love u

44. Dan says:

Every time I watch a Terror video I’m glad I’m not part of that scene. Just looks like a bunch of wiggers trying to be tough.

This is not very hardcore

pop punk!

47. Captain Facepunch says:

Is it becoming a trend for Real Hardcore bands to break the merch rules and wear their own? I’ve seen both Rotting Out and Expire do it so far.